In larger companies, establishing an Advisory Board is becoming more commonplace as these large businesses seek to add to the value and experience of their Board of Directors. This is a trend that can also be of great help to a small business, whether you are operating as a company or not. Most of my clients and readers run family-owned companies or husband and wife operations. Their Boards of Directors are usually the owners. While this provides control of ownership, it does not provide these businesses with fresh perspectives on strategy, reaction to economic trends, specific industry or geographic experience as well as on markets and legal and legislative circumstances. Knowing your business in and out is great - but think of the added value of a pool of new minds that have a different and fresh perspective on the wider business world. (more…)...Read more
When I started consulting to businesses over 25 years ago, no matter how small a business, a restructure of the way a business conducted business took place about every 6 years on average. In a 2018 survey of Small and Medium Enterprises, a restructure every 3 years was more typical. In fact in some industries, some restructure process happens every year. Since these restructuring processes can incorporate anything from changes to business units to changes in procedures to specific performance improvement projects, they can affect every person in a business. This is incredibly challenging for employees in every sector. (more…)...Read more
ATO will inform certain tax agent clients their information is "Tax ready"If tax agent clients' employers report through Single Touch Payroll (STP) and the clients are linked to ATO online services through myGov, the ATO will send them a myGov Inbox message to let them know:
- their end of year payment summary (income statement) has been marked by their employer as "Tax ready" and can be used in their tax return;
- if they have more than one job, their other employers may still need to provide them with a payment summary;
- they need to include all income in their tax return;
- they can access their income statement in ATO online services through myGov, or the tax agent can give them the information;
- they do not need to give the tax agent their personal myGov login details to access their information.
- If tax agent clients do not already have myGov accounts, the ATO says agents should let them know they do not need one for the agent to lodge their tax return. Tax agents can access their employment data and lodge for them...
If you own and run a small business, you must know the feeling where you finish a hard day at work...and wonder how that could possibly have got you closer to your ultimate goal? It is frustrating because all of us started our small businesses with a clear purpose in mind. It may have been to "be our own boss" or to "invent a better mousetrap" or to "provide a balanced lifestyle for my family." But somewhere along the way, we went off track and now, all we do is go to work just to work hard! How can we get back on track on a day to day basis? (more…)...Read more