When I started consulting to businesses over 25 years ago, no matter how small a business, a restructure of the way a business conducted business took place about every 6 years on average. In a 2018 survey of Small and Medium Enterprises, a restructure every 3 years was more typical. In fact in some industries, some restructure process happens every year. Since these restructuring processes can incorporate anything from changes to business units to changes in procedures to specific performance improvement projects, they can affect every person in a business. This is incredibly challenging for employees in every sector. (more…)...Read more
ATO will inform certain tax agent clients their information is "Tax ready"If tax agent clients' employers report through Single Touch Payroll (STP) and the clients are linked to ATO online services through myGov, the ATO will send them a myGov Inbox message to let them know:
- their end of year payment summary (income statement) has been marked by their employer as "Tax ready" and can be used in their tax return;
- if they have more than one job, their other employers may still need to provide them with a payment summary;
- they need to include all income in their tax return;
- they can access their income statement in ATO online services through myGov, or the tax agent can give them the information;
- they do not need to give the tax agent their personal myGov login details to access their information.
- If tax agent clients do not already have myGov accounts, the ATO says agents should let them know they do not need one for the agent to lodge their tax return. Tax agents can access their employment data and lodge for them...
If you own and run a small business, you must know the feeling where you finish a hard day at work...and wonder how that could possibly have got you closer to your ultimate goal? It is frustrating because all of us started our small businesses with a clear purpose in mind. It may have been to "be our own boss" or to "invent a better mousetrap" or to "provide a balanced lifestyle for my family." But somewhere along the way, we went off track and now, all we do is go to work just to work hard! How can we get back on track on a day to day basis? (more…)...Read more
Mistakes happen all the time, and they happen in businesses every day. These mistakes can range from how a customer complaint is handled, or how an order is fulfilled, to mistakes in book-keeping or orders, or just plain misunderstandings on how something should be dealt with. I'll bet you that you can think of a few off the top of your head. Mistakes can be small and meaningless or huge and catastrophic. But even if you think small mistakes can be ignored, how you handle these small daily mistakes gives you an insight into how your business can handle the more serious kind. (more…)...Read more